When someone says Ladakh we automatically start thinking about huge barren mountains, azure skies, colorful Tibetan flags, serene Pangong Lake and most important the beast – Royal Enfield. Also known as the Land of High Passes, Ladakh is an ultimate destination for adventure lovers. The trip to Ladakh was a long awaited trip for me and my friends. Ladakh was like a dream for all of us. It had become an obsession. The trip was being planned for more than a year. Getting delayed from May due to a friend’s marriage, it was rescheduled to August 2015. We were very excited for the trip.
The plan was to reach Jammu by train and parcel our motorcycles from Bandra Terminus to Jammu two days prior to our departure. To be on the safer side Tickets was booked three months before the trip in the month of April. So Jammu was the starting point of Ride To Ladakh 2015.
On the morning of 9th August 2015, our dream journey began. Swaraj Express departs from Bandra Terminus at 7.55 am and covering distance of 1952 kms it reaches Jammu at 14.40. This journey will definitely make you to witness some breathtaking landscapes and sceneries. We reached Jammu Tawi around 3 pm and directly rushed toward the parcel office. It came as a relief to see our motorcycles reaching there safely. Completing the formalities we took our motorcycles and started our hunt for rooms.
It was a hot day in Jammu. The climate was scorching and by the time we found a decent and convenient hotel we were dripping with sweat. After getting fresh we took our motorcycles to the nearby mechanic for some minor repairs. Post dinner we were ready for the much needed sleep as we were completely drained.
Itinerary of Ride to Ladakh 2015:
AUG 11 DAY 1 – Jammu to Srinagar.
AUG 12 DAY 2 – Srinagar to Dodhpathri
AUG 13 DAY 3 – Gulmarg to Srinagar.
AUG 14 DAY 4 – Srinagar to Dras.
AUG 15 DAY 5 – Dras to Leh via Kargil War Memorial for Independence Day Celebration.
AUG 16 DAY 6 – Leh Sightseeing.
AUG 17 DAY 7 – River Rafting.
AUG 18 DAY 8 – Khardung La.
AUG 19 DAY 9 – Pangong Tso.
AUG 20 DAY 10 – Pangong Tso to Leh.
AUG 21 DAY 11 – Leh to Pang.
AUG 22 DAY 12 – Pang to Manali.
AUG 23 DAY 13 – Manali sightseeing.
AUG 24 DAY 14 – Manali to Chandigarh.
AUG 25 DAY 15 – Bikes transportation to Mumbai.
AUG 26 DAY 16 – Back to Mumbai from Chandigarh.
Here is a list of essential things one should carry for a Bike Ride to Ladakh:
- Water: Dehydration can result in some serious health issues at such a high altitude hence having sufficient quantity of water is very important. Drinking water at regular interval is vitally important.
- Documents: Drivers License, One Identity Proof and all the documents regarding the motorcycle like RC Book, Insurance, PUC etc should be carried. If you are not taking your own motorcycle or it is not registered on your name then you are required to carry a non objection letter by the person on whose name the motorcycle is registered.
- Medicines: Having a proper First Aid kit is must. Medicines for AMS ( Acute mountain sickness) is must. Moreover medicines for headache, stomach ache, fever, cold and cough should be carried without fail.
- Clothes: Riding Jacket of a high standard along with fine gloves and a balaclava is very essential. You should also carry proper woolen clothes, warm inner and clothes which can be worn in layers so you can easily adjust your attire according to the existing temperature. You will be crossing a couple of streams on your way hence, it is advisable to carry water resistant shoes.
- A postpaid SIM as a prepaid SIM would be dysfunctional once you enter into the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Extra clutch and accelerator cables.
- Extra Tyre tubes and puncture kits.
- Tyre inflator and Air Compressor Pump.
- A Proper Tool Kit.
- Sunscreen and Lip Balm.
- Chargers, Extra Batteries and Memory Cards.
- Sturdy Helmet and UV Sunglasses.
- Extra key of your motorcycle.
In my next blog read about our journey from Jammu to the beautiful Srinagar which happens to be the first stop of Ride To Ladakh 2015, as we move a step closer to our dream.